Blog Archive

Friday, February 26, 2010

Mountain Pine Beetle, British Columbia: A Climate Change Catastrophe

Mountain Pine Beetle: A Climate Change Catastrophe

Unfortunately, this video speaks very well for itself.  I have to wonder what is going on in Nebraska, North Dakota, Idaho, Washington.  I saw very unhealthy stands in the Wisconsin Dells last August.  I was pretty shocked.

Here in Vitória da Conquista, Bahia, Brazil, up on the plateau, all of the trees in this city of a certain species have died from some kind of beetle.  This happened in only the last 6 months, it went that fast.  There are four of these trees on my street.  It is weird to look out my window and see those bare branches. Our winter occurs in June through August, and it was so warm that in the middle of winter the sparrows were doing mating dances and the pomegranate tree in my garden put out fruit.  Our previous summer (November 2008 -- March 2009) was pretty cold, here, and I told everyone that they should appreciate it while it lasted.  That was the tail end of the La Nina. 


Link to YouTube video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRSR5L5e28g

No comments: